Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cancer in Seattle


Well, if you are going to have cancer, Seattle is not a bad place to have it. Here locally in Seattle, we have so many resources for people affected by cancer; patients, family/friends and caregivers. These resources range from the obvious cancer treatment facilities to, perhaps, the less obvious, but just as important, cancer support groups and everything in between. On the treatment side of things we the likes of Fred Hutchinson, UW cancer research, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Swedish Cancer Center and others. For emotional support, which is vital, we have support groups at a variety of facilities. The two I have/am going to are the ones at Swedish and Gilda's Club of Seattle. I can not recommend both enough, they are great. Our local hospices, while not cancer specific, have a great deal of experience treating cancer patients that have reached the end of their lives. Sadly, even with all the great cancer facilities we have here, cancer is cancer; people die, cancer sucks.

I truly feel bad for people that don't live near a population center that has great cancer support. I can not imaging going through cancer without it, especially, again, the support groups. There just isn't any substitute for sitting and talking with people going through exactly what you are going though. Even worse I think are those people who have been raised in such a way as to not even tell people they have cancer, not talk about it. That is just crazy. Cancer is an extremely hard disease, not just physically, but mentally too. While patients and caregivers don't have exactly the same stresses, both suffer greatly. I have actually heard that it can be harder on the caregiver then on the patient. In either case, support is important. Go get some.

Anyway, here is hoping you find your 'new normal'.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. Much appreciated. Thank you for sharing this post. seattle cancer centers

    ReplyDelete