While we all know that giving blood is a great way to help fight cancer and to give some relief to cancer patients, giving platelets might even be better. Cancer patients and those receiving organ or bone marrow transplants are in great need for platelets. While they can, and do, get platelets from whole blood donations, it is just a small percentage of the whole blood given. Apheresis allows the removal of just platelets from the donor's blood. This has several advantages. First, the body can create new platelets in just 72 hours. This means you can donate every 3 days if you like, while for whole blood you can only donate every 56 days.
Now, Apheresis does take longer and you generally have to go to a blood center to donate as opposed to them coming to you. My local blood center here in Seattle says that you can take the time it takes you to donate a pint of whole blood and double it. For me, I am a quick draw, I can donate a unit of whole blood in about 15 minutes. So, I am looking at about half and hour for Apheresis. Not bad. Probably not something I will do every 3 days, but pretty often.
Anyway, please consider donating blood and/or platelets. Both are in great need. It is also a great way to give back if you, or someone you love, has been helped by blood or platelet infusions.
No comments:
Post a Comment